A sample sequencer for norns
Drum sequencing via the monome grid.
this script is born out an exploration of sampler sequencers. i drew inspiration from the op-z and model:samples (though i don’t own these i was inspired by how i think they are supposed to work). i had five goals making this sample sequencer:
- kolor will work as a standalone script and import as a library into most non-grid norns script, meaning you can use kolor from within another script (if you have a grid). i’ve made a lot of scripts and i want to plug in a grid and use it immediately as a “groove box” in addition to the original host script. to meet this goal, the norns screen actually doesn’t provide any information for kolor (except for providing the save/load screen in the parameters). currently you can get this branch of oooooo to use with kolor. i plan to add to other scripts as well
- step-specific parameter locks with lots of mods - volume, pitch, filters, sample positions, probability, etc. each mod has its own lfo. and an lfo for the lfo’s, because why not.
- easy pattern chaining and probabilistic chaining for automatically adding variation (markov chaining).
- as little menu-diving as possible, with very few “hold” buttons or “mode” screens. (have to do my best given 128 white lights…)
- stereo samples! because uncorrelated noise in both ears sounds awesome.
at the end i had to make compromises to reach these goals. the compromises mean that there is a list of things that kolor does not do (…yet, but maybe not at all):
- all the steps in one track must have the same sound. (this is not a technical limitation, but a menu-diving limitation as it would be hard to determine which step has which sound).
- mod parameters are limited to 4-bit resolution, because there are only 15 keys devoted to the selection scale. however, if you use a lfo the values will oscillate with supercollider’s bit-depth (32-bit resolution i believe). there may be ways of getting around the 4-bit with some menu diving or more button pushing.
- grid (optional, but recommended). 64-grid is supported
please see schollz.github.io/kolor.
get from maiden or from the latest norns image just do